I have began editing my novel, well it is more of a re write than an edit, but an edit all the same. I discovered recently that Microsoft Word has improved its Read Aloud function, so I decided to listen to what I have edited so far.
This is what I discovered.
- My prologue is really very visual and I’m excited about it. It sounds nice and punchy.
- The narrator sounds funny when she reads Scots.
- Read Aloud let me close my eyes and edit at the same time. I found parts that need cut back, and some that need further explanation
- More importantly, in chapter one alone, I found 25 errors. It might have taken me three or four edits to find those. They were mostly duplicate words or missing words that an online editor wouldn’t pick up.
- Read Aloud is my new best editing friend.
- The voice is better on my phone that on my laptop. I’m thinking when I do a deep edit, I’ll print it and use Read Aloud at the same time.
Do any of you guys use a narrator as an editor?
Thanks for reading my blog today and happy writing.